Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Saturday, May 26, 2012

"Love's Executioner & Other Tales of Psychotherapy" by Irvin D. Yalom, M.D.

As a psychology major in college, one of my favorite parts was reading case studies and learning why people act the way they do.  I received this book many years ago but never read it until this month.  It covers 10 real patients (with names and other identifying information changed) seen by the author, a psychiatrist.  But unlike the case histories I read in my psychology textbooks, the therapist's candid thoughts about his patients and their progress are included.  He portrays himself as human, one with flaws and biases like anyone else.  He doesn't always enjoy working with these people but he finds a way to connect with and help each one, though not always as much as he would have liked.  I recommend this book to anyone interested in psychology or becoming a therapist.  270 pages (Hardcover, first edition).

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds very interesting. My best friend is doing psychotherapy in Sydney. I don't really understand what that is so I have been doing research on it. I am going to pick this book up. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete