Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Friday, June 28, 2013

THE COUNTRY GIRLS TRILOGY AND EPILOGUE by Edna O'Brien

I heard an interview with Ms. O"Brien on NPR on the occasion of her latest novel.  I thought, how is it that I've never read the author whose Irish voice and intelligent perceptions grabbed my attention.

I decided right off to read her older novels first and found this paperback of three earlier stories:  The Country Girls (1960), The Lonely Girl (1962), Girls in Their Married Bliss (1964) plus the Epilogue written in 1986 for a reprint of the the original stories.

This is an epic tale of two friends:  Kate, the incurable romantic and Baba, the pragmatist.  It's the story of their families, their lovers, their children, and  assorted characters of Ireland of the 1950-1960s.  This is a celebration and eulogy of Irish women and I loved it.

Plume 1987, 532 p.

No comments:

Post a Comment