This blog is for Missouri State Library staff members to record their books read for the annual Missouri Book Challenge.
Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge
Monday, March 24, 2014
Divergent by Veronica Roth
A YA novel with a female heroine in a dystopian future, made into a popular movie - sound familiar? I actually picked this up because I thought the movie trailer was interesting. I didn't find this to be as compelling as the Hunger Games trilogy, especially the characters. There are many of the same elements - female heroine, competing groups, teens fighting each other, although this time it's for an initiation into one of the society's factions - the Dauntless. I felt that we needed more setup and background to the situation to get to know the main character before we were thrown headlong into the plot. The book cover says 'One choice can transform you', referring to a ceremony in which teens choose which one of five factions they will belong to as adults. The factions purport to uphold different views of how to best resolve society's problems in a peaceful way, but several are devolving into a power struggle over control of the society. Lots of action, but not many real surprises. 487 pages.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment