Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee

Go Set a Watchman: a novel by Harper Lee is the sequel to To Kill a Mockingbird, though Watchman was actually written first.  Thought to be a lost manuscript, this story was recently rediscovered and published.  This reviewer's understanding is that it was published without the blessing of its author, who has lived a very reclusive life since TKAM's publication.  It appears that Lee had very little if anything to do with the editing process of this novel and it shows.  Amateur mistakes can be found throughout.  The crux of the novel isn't introduced until Chapter 8 and it starts off almost sounding like it is going to be a romantic story between Scout and Henry.  Once the race card is drawn, the novel actually seems to take off and becomes a more interesting read.  Parts of the story feel disjointed and some description of the main characters and setting are lacking.  I would recommend this only for people who are curious about the characters and their story.  This is not nearly as literary a novel as TKAM.  I went into this with low expectations and was not disappointed.  However, readers who are expecting another incarnation of TKAM will be sorely disappointed.  I do not hold this against Harper Lee, however. I hold it against greedy publishers looking to make a buck.  The book jacket claims the greatness of the manuscript, but I found it sorely lacking.  Not highly recommended. 288 pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment