Grave Mercy: His Fair Assassin, by Robin LaFevers
2.5/5
576 pages
Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage to the respite of the convent of St. Mortain. Here she learns that the god of Death has blessed her with dangerous gifts and a violent destiny. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others. But how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who has stolen her heart?
This is a re-read for me. I read it in 2013, when it was first published (I have the first edition hardback at home). I remember liking it, not enough that I read the second book, but enough that I didn't give the book away. So, I thought I'd give it another go.
I'm not sure if it's because I'm older, or I just finished an adult fantasy novel, or I'm more critical because Fantasy is my genre, but this book just didn't do it for me. It's kind of boring - which is seriously disappointing because the premise is awesome. I mean, she's an assassin devoted to a nunnery of Death. Come on! This could have been SO good. But, alas. Nope.
Let's start with Ismae. She's flat. F.L.A.T. As in, I didn't really care what happened to her. This is a common issue with this book. There is little character development. Even the 'romance' between the two main characters is flat. The two most intriguing people in this book were Beast and Ms. Hivern, both supporting characters. The rest? Meh.
I found the plot to be very surface-level, immature drama. And it shouldn't have been. I mean, you're dealing with high political intrigue. It should be deep and engrossing. But, again, alas. Nope. It feels dumbed down. At no point did I feel like anyone was in any type of serious situation. The main character spends a lot of time feeling sorry for herself and looking for someone to kill rather than becoming a major player in the plot.
So, the good? The writing style. There is a simple, straightforwardness here that I appreciate. I did chuckle out-loud a few times, and I did find myself pausing to re-read a line or two, just for the aesthetics of it. And that cover art, y'all. Whew! Stunner.
I just wanted SO MUCH MORE. Fantasy novels should be rich, vibrant worlds with complicated characters. This book was neither, and I struggled to finish it. I will read the second book (as I already bought it), but I'm not holding my breath.

No comments:
Post a Comment