Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Monday, February 27, 2012

THE MISSION SONG by John Le Carre

Another bit of serendipity at my local library led me to buy this paperback from the “book sale” section (brand new, never been cracked open, 50 cents). I’d read Le Carre novels in the past but this was a new one to me. I’d also recently heard Gary Oldman interviewed (NPR) about his interpretation of an iconic Le Carre character in a redo movie, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

I was not disappointed; MISSION SONG is a fast-paced, intelligent and surprisingly funny espionage thriller. Told from the perspective of an idealistic (naïve?) young British civil servant, the story’s hero teams-up with a bizarre (yet very believable) cast of characters for a special mission.

Ha! I just realized the author’s clever title meshes the plot’s storyline with the young African/Irish birth story in a religious community.

Back Bay Books, 2006, 337 p.

No comments:

Post a Comment