By Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
290 pages
I honestly didn’t even read a plot description for this book before checking it out. I saw that it was one of the few ebooks from MRRL that was immediately available, and decided to check it out. I’m so glad I did.
Set in England directly after World War II, the book centers on a London-based writer, Juliet, looking for a subject for her latest book. An unexpected correspondence begins between her and a few citizens on the island of Guernsey. The Guernsey natives are neighbors, and Juliet learns that a literary society sprung up amongst them during the war. As she learns more about the Nazi occupation of the island, she decides to visit Guernsey to research the group for her book, and, somewhat predictably, finds more there than she expected.
The author of this book passed away shortly before completing her story – her niece took over after. More than anything, I think this was the author’s love letter to books, and to the power of the written word to heal and connect people during times of hardship.
Overall, this novel is interesting from a historical perspective without being textbook-y, and sweet and romantic without being sappy or too sentimental. Just a lovely read.
I really found you by mistake, while I was researching for something else,
ReplyDeletewould just like to say many thanks for a remarkable post and a all round enjoyable blog. Please do keep up the excellent work.
Hardship Letter