Lots of lovely time to sit and read this past weekend, the hustle/bustle of holiday celebrations mostly over and done.
This novel
was one of the KCStar’s notable books for 2012.
Set in a post-Katrina New Orleans, it features a young Times-Picayune
reporter, Nola Cespedes who’s given a career make-or-break assignment to report
on offenders who’ve gone missing off the sex registry since the hurricane.
The book tells two stories. One is Nola, a proud project-raised Latina and
her relationships with men and women and the second is the riveting tale of men
who prey on women and children. Although
I love New Orleans, I got a little tired of all the place “name dropping”, a
type of storytelling I recognize from other contemporary novels I read
recently. Nevertheless, this is a
well-research and smartly written story with a surprise hook at the end.
St. Martin’s Press, 2012, 338 p.
No comments:
Post a Comment