Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Friday, December 28, 2012

STILL LIFE, Louise Penny


This novel, the first in a series, presents the detective, Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the Surete du Quebec and the residents of a small, rather off the road Canadian village, Three Pines.   I read a very enthusiastic review of Ms. Penny’s recent work, and I decided to give the author and her detective an audition by reading this book, first published in Great Britain.

The first chapter introduces and kills-off 76-year-old Miss Neal, a much beloved and long-time resident of Three Pines.  Serendipitously, I checked it out for the long holiday weekend and the first sentence read:  “Miss Jane Neal met her maker in the early morning mist of Thanksgiving Sunday.”

When Chief Inspector arrives on the scene, the first unknown is how she died.  Was it a hunting accident?   If so, why hasn’t the guilty party come forth?  And, Miss Neal, why hasn’t anyone in the village ever, ever set foot in her house beyond the kitchen?

I’m hooked on the characters and the author’s often droll descriptions of life in Three Pines.  Book #2 and #3 are on their way to me as I write.

Minotaur Books,  2006, 312 p.

No comments:

Post a Comment