Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Wednesday, July 31, 2013

OVER SEA, UNDER STONE by Susan Cooper, THE DARK IS RISING by Susan Cooper


I once took an English class on children’s literature at the same time I was working as a library assistant for an amazing children’s librarian in a teaching college.  Long story short, I became enamored with Arthurian legend in general and in particular Susan Cooper’s 5-book series:  THE DARK IS RISING. Targeted to young readers and published between 1965 and 1977, they are filled with references to Celtic myth as the young characters are tossed between the forces of the Dark and the forces of the Light.  Recently I gave the paperback series to my granddaughter and then decided I would re-read the books to see if they still merited being called a classic quest fantasy.  Conclusion:  Oh, yes!  Cooper’s imagery and beautiful writing caught me up again in her imagining.  I plan to re-read the other three books.

 

Aladdin Paperbacks 1989, 243 p.

Aladdin Paperbacks 1999, 244 p.

1 comment:

  1. Susan Cooper's one of my favorite in the children's fantasy genre.

    ReplyDelete