
This was another book I read along with my husband for his class. I loved this class when I took it several years ago, and how it forced me to read genres I wouldn't have tried normally. I'm very "comfort zone"-y when it comes to reading for pleasure.
But Romance....Romance is my BAG. I love a sassy chick-lit so hard. As long as she ends up with someone she digs at the end (and without religious undertones), I am so there. So I was really looking forward to this week's read.
I've noticed something in the last few years...I tend to not enjoy books written by men as much as those written by women. I'm always surprised when I love a coming-of-age or a romance written by a male (Mike Gayle is a good example, or Wally Lamb). I wondered how this book would sit with me. Since 'internet romance' is one of my favorite sub-genres, I figured it had to be somewhat my cup of tea, though.
Boy oh boy. UGH. UGH ugh ugh. I *hated* this book. I hated Trevor, the main character (he reminded me a little bit of Ignatius in Confederacy of Dunces); I hated the plot; and I hated the end. The only reason I kept reading was because it went along at a fast clip and I really wanted Trevor to redeem himself.
I don't usually do research before I read a book (I don't want to get spoiled or influenced), but I should have checked to see how many people have talked about this book online. I see now that it's very few. Those that liked it called it hilarious, but I didn't see that at all.
No comments:
Post a Comment