Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted, by Elizabeth Berg


Subtitle: And Other Small Acts of Liberation

I listened to this on audio, and it was a pleasant enough collection. I have mixed feelings about the author reading his or her own work. Sometimes it's great, but most of the time I understand why actors are hired for the job. In this case, Berg had a surprisingly annoying voice (I had 'pictured' it as so nice!), but not so irritating that I had to stop listening.

I was hoping this was a series of weight-related fictional anecdotes, but only two focused on the struggles of healthy eating and weight loss. I'm always on the lookout for good books about that issue!

The rest of the stories ranged from reuniting with an old high school boyfriend to watching a friend die to an adolescent realizing how awkward she is, a woman who can't get over her ex-husband and one who takes her friend away from her confining nursing home; thirteen stories in all...none are particularly uplifting, and I was disappointed at this as generally Berg is good for comfort reading. I found myself disgusted as most of the individual heroines.



256 pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment