Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Life on air, by David Attenborough

I'm a fanboy. Just let me lay that out from the start. This was a memoir I actually really enjoyed.
Sir David Attenborough recounts anecdotes and episodes from his long career in broadcasting, including his early days at the BBC, arranging the Queen's holiday address, and his many nature films.
This man was shooting documentaries in far-flung parts of the world when he was 70. He has braved gorillas, Komodo dragons, fire ants and more to bring his style of nature documentary to the screen.
Besides learning so much about what he did during his long career, I was fascinated to learn of some of the tricks and techniques he used to record animals acting (well, relatively) normal. His blunders were also interesting.
He has a marvelous delivery and voice, which brings me to the greatest affront of the book. American companies refused several times to sell his DVDs in the US, because they thought the American public would not understand his accent. Outrageous!
audio: 19.5 hours
print: 448 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment