This blog is for Missouri State Library staff members to record their books read for the annual Missouri Book Challenge.
Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge
Thursday, June 16, 2011
"Verbal Judo: The Gentle Art of Persuasion" by George J. Thompson and Jerry B. Jenkins
I checked out this book from our collection to try to learn how to deal with difficult patrons. It had a few good pointers but I could not see myself being able to talk the way the authors recommend. Thompson, the main author, proclaims himself to be one of those difficult people for whom the book is written to deal with and even praises difficult people as "people of savvy, of backbone, of principle, of will." I do not agree with this at all! Then he recommends that we should view difficult people as "interesting and challenging." What? This conflict-averse introvert is not able to do that and never will. Other people may find this book helpful, but for the most part, I did not. 222 pages.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment