
I'm on a YA kick, as usual, and since the last few Cabots I'd read had been super, I had high hopes for this one. But right away, the main character is entirely unsympathetic--and remains so throughout the book. In a story like this, I think it's important the reader root for the main character, since it's all about them winning at the end. But I could never figure out why she was getting so much attention from the hero; eventually, I just gave up and assumed she must be really, really attractive. The plot summary also makes a huge deal about how Katie is a compulsive liar, but I didn't see her lying any more than a normal teenage girl trying to get through high school.
This book gives YA lit (and Meg Cabot) a bad name. It was entertaining enough for getting me through my commute, but I wouldn't recommend it.
272 pages.
No comments:
Post a Comment