Susan M. lent me this book because I had read "Columbine" earlier this year. At the beginning, the fictional narrator and his wife are working at Columbine High School when two of its students go on a killing rampage in 1999. The book deals not only with its aftermath and how they each cope but how their lives unfold once they leave Colorado and move back to the narrator's boyhood home, a former dairy farm down the road from a women's prison founded by and named for his great-grandmother.
Part family saga, part historical fiction, this novel is Forrest Gump-ian in the way some of the characters meet and interact with well known figures, such as Mark Twain and Dorothea Dix, and have their lives influenced by real historical events, like Hurricane Katrina and the war in Iraq. Throw in a bit of chaos-complexity theory, family secrets, and unpredictable plot twists, and I was hooked. I don't usually read fiction written by men, but I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this story. It took the author about 10 years to write it, and he did a great job. 725 pages (including notes from the author).

No comments:
Post a Comment