No Easy Day
By Mark Owen, Kevin Maurer
I remember the night the U.S. killed bin Laden. I was watching TV, spacing out when I read on my iPhone that the President would be addressing the nation shortly. One the rumors of bin Laden's death started to crop up I started to feel a swell of love for my country.
No Easy Day's author who's real name is not Mark Owen but that's his pen name. Always wanted to be a Navy SEAL. From the time he was in school reading books about what SEALS did he knew that was his goal. His father tried to talk him into getting an education and not joining the Navy but "Mark" would have nothing to do with it. He joined the Seal Team 6, the starters within the SEAL community right after 9-11-01.
The first part of the book outlines his career up to the bin Laden raid. It doesn't go into great detail about every mission but it does hit the high points.
The rest of the book outlines the training, waiting, and exection of the bin Laden raid. It's a great "inside baseball" book. He goes into the back stage actions that goes into planning the raid. The description of the actual raid makes you think you are in the 3 story building with him hunting down the male occupants. It's intense. Your heart beats a tick or two faster even though you're sitting at home.
Lots of gorey details outline how he and his fellow SEALs went about the task of figuring out that they had killed bin Laden. So if that bothers you, you might not want to read the book.
I started this book on Friday after work and finished it on Saturday morning. I read the whole 336 pages in that time. I didn't speed thru I took my time and soaked it in. It was just that good.
336 Pages
No comments:
Post a Comment