This blog is for Missouri State Library staff members to record their books read for the annual Missouri Book Challenge.
Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge
Sunday, May 29, 2016
The Magicians by Lev Grossman
I chose this book because of fabulous blurbs on the cover, as well as a 'coming to Syfy' label. The story follows Quentin Coldwater, a talented loner, as he is accepted into a secret college for magicians. But his new powers don't satisfy his yearning for a more purposeful existence. Then he and several friends find their way into Fillory, the magic land described in his favorite children's books. While Fillory is a thin disguise for Narnia, Quentin and friends find that it is a much darker and more dangerous place than they bargained for. While I found the premise and plotting to be quite original, the characters are mostly very self-absorbed and I found it hard to care very much about them. This is the first of a trilogy, also coming to TV. 402 pages
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment