Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
Summary: "Mare Barrow's world is divided by blood -- those with common, Red blood serve the Silver-blooded elite, who are gifted with superhuman abilities. Mare is a Red, scraping by as a thief in a poor, rural village, until a twist of fate throws her in front of the Silver court. Before the king, princes, and all the nobles, she discovers she has an ability of her own. To cover up this impossibility, the king forces her to play the role of a lost Silver princess and betroths her to one of his own sons. As Mare is drawn further into the Silver world, she risks everything and uses her new position to help the Scarlet Guard -- a growing Red rebellion -- even as her heart tugs her in an impossible direction. One wrong move can lead to her death, but in the dangerous game she plays, the only certainty is betrayal."
I didn't hate this book. I didn't love it. I just generally liked it enough to keep going. Some of the writing is strong, compelling and witty. Some of it drags and it a bit eye-roll worthy. The entire world and plot is a combo of Hunger Games, The Selection series, and Shatter Me. It surprised me at the end (in a good way), but I'm nervous that the next two books in the series will be typical revolution plot lines that we've seen a million times over. This book is a good read, but I think I'm a little jaded by previous series with similar tones and ideas.
Favorite Quote: "If there was ever a person begging for an elbow to the face, it is Evangeline Samos."
388 pages
I regret having continued on with this series. Book 2 was torture for me.
ReplyDelete