
I listened to this unabridged version on audio, and what an unexpected treat it was!
I picked this up at MRRL, whose limited audio book selection forces me to expand my boundaries a bit--I never would have chosen it otherwise. (It was labeled "Sci-Fi" - though "Fantasy" would have been more apt.) The audio details made me groan a little, too..."Full Cast Audio; read and sung by Sarah Naughton and the Full Cast family." Ugh! I've tried it before (most awfully, with Lord of the Rings) and have *never* been impressed. So, I approached this book with much trepidation.
However, I knew within the first few tracks that I'd love it. One of the keys to a good audio book is the narration; can you stand to listen to this person's voice for eight hours or so? Sarah Naughton's voice was extremely pleasant, with just enough naivete and enthusiasm to remind me of Anne of Green Gables (my favorite!)
What I slowly realized as the fairy tale went on was that this was a reimagining of Snow White--a detail the back cover material didn't allude to, but every other review I found online did. I *adore* fairy tales, and get a kick out of the more recent 'fractured' versions. It was so neat how the author worked in these little subtle details here and there that made me think "Oh! That's *totally* Snow White!"
This audio book enthralled me until the end. It was the perfect length for me (8 CDs, so about two weeks of commuting), and it transported me into this Ayorthian world so thoroughly that my trips back and forth to Jeff City flew by.
Hardcover version is 336 pages.
I picked this up at MRRL, whose limited audio book selection forces me to expand my boundaries a bit--I never would have chosen it otherwise. (It was labeled "Sci-Fi" - though "Fantasy" would have been more apt.) The audio details made me groan a little, too..."Full Cast Audio; read and sung by Sarah Naughton and the Full Cast family." Ugh! I've tried it before (most awfully, with Lord of the Rings) and have *never* been impressed. So, I approached this book with much trepidation.
However, I knew within the first few tracks that I'd love it. One of the keys to a good audio book is the narration; can you stand to listen to this person's voice for eight hours or so? Sarah Naughton's voice was extremely pleasant, with just enough naivete and enthusiasm to remind me of Anne of Green Gables (my favorite!)
What I slowly realized as the fairy tale went on was that this was a reimagining of Snow White--a detail the back cover material didn't allude to, but every other review I found online did. I *adore* fairy tales, and get a kick out of the more recent 'fractured' versions. It was so neat how the author worked in these little subtle details here and there that made me think "Oh! That's *totally* Snow White!"
This audio book enthralled me until the end. It was the perfect length for me (8 CDs, so about two weeks of commuting), and it transported me into this Ayorthian world so thoroughly that my trips back and forth to Jeff City flew by.
Hardcover version is 336 pages.
No comments:
Post a Comment