
This is the first book I read on my new Kindle, and I'm glad I chose this one. The novel's pacing and intrigue helped me "bond" with my Kindle! It's a gripping mystery novel, and while I did partially guess the mystery, there was a twist I didn't anticipate. I loved the setting and the Swedish cultural references and am looking forward to reading the next entry in the trilogy.
600 pp.
I too just read this on my Kindle! I saw it more as a kind of action/thriller, especially with the fast pace and the dangerous situations faced by our two protagonists. I was absolutely shocked by the graphic violence and sexual abuse as depicted in this book. I typically read straight up literature and occasional 20th century British mysteries, so this modern take on the mystery was a dramatic change for me. You really see Stieg Larsson's preoccupation with Nazism and neo-Nazi groups in some of the background here. You also see that he was very concerned about violence against women since every section of the book started out with a frightening statistic about Swedish women and physical and sexual abuse. I think it would be interesting to compare notes sometime. I think, after I get over my initial shock, I will start in on the next in the series. Thanks for sharing your review!
ReplyDelete