Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Saturday, April 30, 2011

Agate Hill by Lee Smith

416 pages

A sad, strange, interesting book. Set in the years directly following the Civil War, this book follows the life of Molly Petree, an orphan of the war. We meet Molly on May 13, 1872, her thirteenth birthday, and at that time she is living under the care of her uncle at his estate, Agate Hill, in North Carolina. Molly’s life is chronicled through letters, journals and court records, found and researched in the present day by a young woman whose father and his partner have purchased Agate Hill to refurbish as a bed and breakfast. We are introduced to high and low society through the people Molly meets in the Carolinas and Virginia, those who drift in and out of her life and those who become her family.
I often found that while reading this book I felt a little on edge, and while I found the conclusion to be fairly complete and satisfying I wanted something more from the book as a whole than what I got. I know I liked this book, in a certain way, but I also struggled to decide what I thought it lacked. I’m still not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment