Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Story Girl

231 pages

Every time I read The Story Girl I am reminded why this is one of L. M. Montgomery’s favorite of her own books. It combines the arch of the wonder of childhood play – all the games and worlds and dramas created and inhabited by children as they stretch their imaginations together – along with the prosaic and stable background of old family traditions and narrative. The King family of Prince Edward Island is introduced by newcomers Beverly and Felix, two boys shipped to their father’s people for a time while he works a stint in another country. The new cousins meet siblings Dan, Felicity and Cecily, the hired boy Peter, and their other cousin, Sara Stanley, the Story Girl herself. Sara has a gift of weaving a spell with her voice and storytelling skill, and all the old histories of the family are introduced through her tales, as well as stories of ancient mythology, Native American heritage and fairy tales.
This is just a sweet, beautiful book…it makes me miss things I’ve never experienced, as strange as I know that sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment