I'd read this book just after it won the Caldecott a few years ago, and LOVED it. When my Book Club decided to read it for this week's meeting, I jumped at the chance to pick it up again. It's described as a graphic novel, but I'm not crazy about that classification. Nothing against graphic novels, though--this is just more like a book accompanied by hundreds of ornate drawings. It's a quick read, because there's probably less than a hundred pages' worth of text...and many of the scenes are fast-paced, so the whole book can pretty easily be read in one sitting. You won't want to put it down anyway. :) It's like reading a fantastic, beautiful movie. Martin Scorsese, of all people, is directing the movie version. The cast looks intriguing, but I can't help but worry that Scorsese's turning the film into something more sinister than the book was meant to be. 544 pages
This blog is for Missouri State Library staff members to record their books read for the annual Missouri Book Challenge.
Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge
Tuesday, April 12, 2011
The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
I'd read this book just after it won the Caldecott a few years ago, and LOVED it. When my Book Club decided to read it for this week's meeting, I jumped at the chance to pick it up again. It's described as a graphic novel, but I'm not crazy about that classification. Nothing against graphic novels, though--this is just more like a book accompanied by hundreds of ornate drawings. It's a quick read, because there's probably less than a hundred pages' worth of text...and many of the scenes are fast-paced, so the whole book can pretty easily be read in one sitting. You won't want to put it down anyway. :) It's like reading a fantastic, beautiful movie. Martin Scorsese, of all people, is directing the movie version. The cast looks intriguing, but I can't help but worry that Scorsese's turning the film into something more sinister than the book was meant to be. 544 pages
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment