Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Wednesday, January 11, 2012

In the Blink of an Eye: Dale, Daytona, and the Day that Changed Everything


By: Michael Waltrip

I have a secret I've kept from you, my coworkers for 4 years.  I'm a NASCAR fan!  There I said and I feel better.  I started getting into NASCAR because I bought a very cheap racing simulator when I was about 11 and wanted to watch the races to learn how to race.

I read the sample chapter of this book and knew I had to get it.  Michael Waltrip is known in NASCAR as being the guy who sponsors love because he plugs them all the time.  He's funny and smart about racing and I've been a fan of him since I've been into racing. 

In 2001 his life, and all racing fan's lives changed when Dale Earnhardt died on the last lap of the Daytona 500.  Earnhardt was the super driver of NASCAR , so much so his death was covered as breaking news on CNN, NBC, CBS, and ABC.

Waltrip's life changed a little more than mine did however because Dale was his friend and his car owner.  You see Mikey had been in Cup for about 15 years and he never won a race.  It was starting to get to the point people thought he'd never win a race but Dale told him that he'd win if he was driving a car for him.  Dale hired Mikey to drive in 2001 and died helping protect the lead for Mikey. 

The book covers the guilt he felt about losing his friend on the most important day of his life.  The book also covers the relationship he built with his father as an adult because they didn't really have a relationship when he was a child.

This book is good for racing fans and non racing fans because it talks about a mans journey through the pain of losing his father and best friend.

240 Pages

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to know I'm not the only library person who is a NASCAR fan. I reviewed this book last year: http://ucplbookchallenge.blogspot.com/2011/09/in-blink-of-eye.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too Karen! Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete