Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Tuesday, January 31, 2012

It’s Kind of a Funny Story

By Ned Vizzini
448 pages
My teen book obsession continues. I grabbed a whole stack of buzzed-about teen novels after returning my Michael Grant books, and found that I gravitated to this one first. The premise sounds bleak –while battling depression and the pressures of his elite school, 15-year-old Craig decides one night to commit suicide. Instead of doing so he thinks to call a suicide hotline, and the person on the phone tells him to go to the hospital. In a matter hours he is installed as a resident of the adult psychiatric ward at his local hospital, rooming with an Egyptian man who refuses to leave his bed and eating meals with struggling addicts. Five days of self-realization, friendship building, anger, frustration, and romantic encounters ensue. At its heart, this is a funny story (heh), and I found myself laughing under my breath often and appreciating the wit of Vizzini throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment