This dystopian novel takes place in the New Badlands of what used to be the U.S. after a series of catastrophic events. Some humans have taken shelter underground away from cities and their dangerous inhabitants and to protect themselves from the sun's rays that are now too strong to tolerate during the day. Gabriel, a vampire, has stumbled across one of these groups of people as he's trying to find out what happened to the woman he loved. But he must hide what he is from them or risk being turned in to the government, which considers him a monster.
I don't usually like dystopian stories, but this one kept me intrigued without being too depressing. Gabriel, Mariah (the woman who takes him in when he first arrives at her compound), and her dog all share a bond, one that becomes even stronger with the surprise twist at the end. Additionally, it's told in alternating person view between first person (Mariah's view) and third person, which I enjoyed. I've already started reading the sequel. 324 pages.
No comments:
Post a Comment