Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott

Pages: 334
Author: Kelly O'Connor McNees

 Deftly mixing fact and fiction, Kelly O'Connor McNees imagines a love affair that would threaten Louisa's writing career-and inspire the story of Jo and Laurie in Little Women. Stuck in small-town New Hampshire in 1855, Louisa finds herself torn between a love that takes her by surprise and her dream of independence as a writer in Boston. The choice she must make comes with a steep price that she will pay for the rest of her life.

I knew I shouldn't have bought this book but since I love Louisa May Alcott( I am a bit of a snob about it) I couldn't resist.
Of course I hated it. I think her life was fascinating, growing up with the neighbors she had and all, the aloof father and the hard working, strong maternal figure. I couldn't get into this book. I think partly because I think of her as ambiguous or asexual in love and romance, having not had a crush or inklings of love for anyone but Thoreau in her teen years.
An easy read but lacking in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment