Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Friday, August 31, 2012

Prelude - Casting Stones by G. M. Barlean

Prelude - Casting StonesA couple of months ago I posted an entry for 'Casting Stones', which I read because it was set in Missouri. I said it was the most unrelentingly depressing book I ever read. I think this 'prelude' was written in hopes that giving a little background would improve the book. It didn't. It did provide a little context for the story, but was no less depressing. In the main book, When James came back to Missouri from Nebraska after his wife died, a neighbor, Esther, tricked him into getting drunk and 'having his way' with her. She got pregnant, and he was forced to marry her. In the prelude, we learn that Esther was in love with James when they were teenagers, and intended to marry him. Instead, he fell in love with Evangeline, married her, and moved to Nebraska. Therefore, when Evangline dies and James  moves back to Missouri, Esther is sure that God has brought him back to her.

I don't recommend this novella, any more than I did 'Casting Stones.

17 pages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment