Book 1 in the Riley Brothers series centers on Cameron Riley, a 23-year-old Canadian hockey player who is about to move up to the NHL when an unexpected heart condition forces him to give up the game. He moves back to his hometown and meets Noah Clark, an art curator. They hit it off right away, but Cameron fails to disclose to Noah that he was a standout hockey recruit or that he has a worrisome heart problem. When Noah organizes a hockey-themed art exhibition, Riley's secret threatens to be exposed.
This was a novel with a lot of potential, but Cameron's behavior didn't make much sense to me. First, I thought he gave up his life of hockey too easily. He gets dizzy and faints when his heart beats too quickly, but instead of doing everything he can to get it fixed ASAP, he just gives up and buys a house in his hometown without any prospects of a full-time job. I also didn't understand why he kept his heart condition from Noah. I will read the second book in the series because I liked the characters (Noah is sweet and a little anxious) and am hopeful that it will be an improvement. 302 pages (Kindle edition).
No comments:
Post a Comment