Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Thursday, March 10, 2016

My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga

My Heart and Other Black HolesMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This story was good and offered something a bit different from all the others that deal with the same topic (teen suicide). I have been a bit weary of this topic in YA novels lately, so I read this story at the encouragement of a friend.

In this novel, two teens meet at an online suicide website. Then they meet up in person and decide to become suicide partners, to help each other see through their intentions/wishes to die. The premise sounds upsetting, but I found a lot of the story to be interesting and hopeful.

The first 75% is beautifully written and captivating. The last 25% of the story was predictable, and for me, it was too easily resolved on all fronts for such a complex situation. At the same time, it also let some loose threads fly free, rather than wrapping them up after putting so much focus on them, which is why I dropped a star. This is not to suggest I hated the ending, because I don't. It was a solid ending to a good story. It's just wasn't wrapped up as well as I hoped it would be.

I'd still recommend it to other YA contemporary readers who are fascinated by heavy topics but like a good dose of hopeful moments.

Pages:  320

No comments:

Post a Comment