Titan's Son by Rhett C. BrunoMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
Well, I really enjoyed this one, even though I still wanted stronger character development and to better understand character motivations. I could have even used a bit more world building. It's probably more of a 3.5 for me, but I always round up.
The action is solid, but the lack of emotional resonance makes the action seem a bit tedious after a while, rather than exciting. That makes the book lag in the middle, at least it did for me. I needed a bit more connection to characters motivations and emotions, so that their actions seem honest and authentic.
There was more gratuitous death, which with the female characters seems like a waste of potentially fascinating characters and opportunities. I had my heart set on a badass female in this story, and it didn't really go down like that. If it had, then maybe this would have been closer to 5 stars for me. I would love to see women be delegated stronger roles in future novels, rather than just the general stereotypes like mother, lover, protester, fanatic, etc. Most of the ladies are too one-dimensional for my taste, but that is likely because they are primarily used as plot points, more than anything else.
Overall, I liked it, but I'm not sure if I'm invested enough to continue on to book 3. I guess only time will tell.
Pages: 300
No comments:
Post a Comment