Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Wayfaring Stranger by James Lee Burke

When I used to lead a book club, I liked to select books that I still clearly remembered months after reading. In sizing up books to share, good writing is important, but if the story sticks with you, that’s a good book. That is the case with James Lee Burke’s Wayfaring Stranger. Over the years I’ve enjoyed Burke’s detective novels with the dark and dangerous Dave Robicheaux, set in the bayou country of Louisiana. Burke writes noir so well you can see the Spanish moss hanging from the trees and smell the saltwater in the air. Others have also recognized his talent because he is the rare recipient of two Edgar Awards.

Another measure for judging books is to read what book authorities say. “An ambitious, deeply satisfying historical thriller. . . . The wartime scenes showcase Burke at his best—vivid, finely wrought, highly evocative writing . . . A wonderful slice of midcentury American life overlaid with the roiling drama of individual lives as only Burke can portray them.” (Booklist, starred review)


I listened to this book on audio and highly recommend the experience. Will Patton’s gravelly, deep voice sounds like a cross between the Marlboro man and Tom Selleck. Don’t miss this excellent book by an author at the top of his game. 448 pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment