Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Tuesday, October 17, 2017

The Giver Series by Lois Lowry

The Giver (The Giver, #1)The Giver by Lois Lowry
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Many years have passed since I last read this book, so I decided it was time to revisit it. Also, I had never read the rest of the books in the series, which is my intention with this reread.

I am still fascinated by this world and enjoy this story. I confess that I'm always a bit nervous when I revisit a story that I loved in the past. I wonder if the changes in me will change whether or not I can still love the story. My perspectives often shift, but it makes me happy when a good story is still a good story, even if I view it in new ways.

Pages: 208

Gathering Blue (The Giver, #2)Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is an interesting companion novel, but it's not clear how it connects to The Giver at all. The world and characters are all different. I wouldn't mind that, except for the fact that The Giver still seemed a bit unfinished, and I was hoping for some more story about Gabe and Jonas.

Pages: 240


Messenger (The Giver, #3)Messenger by Lois Lowry
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is a darker and more upsetting addition to the series, and like the others, it has very little resolution. However, the lack of a satisfying ending was the most bothersome with this addition to the series. I don't mind an open ended conclusion, but there's something that was unsatisfying about this one, even though I liked the characters and world.

Pages: 169


Son (The Giver, #4)Son by Lois Lowry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a decent conclusion to the series. It finally starts tying the worlds and characters together in a way that provides a bit more satisfaction and resolution.

My favorite book is still the first one, and some part of me wishes that more of the stories had been set in that world. I guess that's the different between old school and new age dystopian novels. The old school dystopians don't care quite as much about fixing the broken worlds. Sure, some characters do things to force change, but it's a lot less about the broken down system being disabled. People are more likely to run away (which in theory is probably more realistic). The new age dystopians are all about disabling the unjust societies, so it's a different approach/perspective,which is interesting.

Pages: 393

No comments:

Post a Comment