Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Tuesday, December 12, 2017

The Fifth Doll by Charlie N. Holmberg

The Fifth DollThe Fifth Doll by Charlie N. Holmberg
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is unusual and inventive, and I like that. Everything Holmberg writes is unique. This is not my favorite of all of her books, but I'm glad I read it, since it was a nice taste of something truly different.

The magic is dark and eccentric in this one, but with a slight touch of fancy or whimsy. It has a bit of a Giver (by Lois Lowry) vibe about it, which I assume is intentional, but maybe not.

I like that every story she writes is creative and different from the other fantasy novels floating about. I also like how so many of them stand alone and yet feel complete in their world building. Somehow, Holmberg flies under the radar, but I think she deserves more credit for her interesting body of work.

Pages: 252

No comments:

Post a Comment