Summary: "Aging and reclusive Hollywood movie icon Evelyn Hugo is finally ready to tell the truth about her glamorous and scandalous life. But when she chooses unknown magazine reporter Monique Grant for the job, no one in the journalism community is more astounded than Monique herself... Regardless of why Evelyn has chosen her to write her biography, Monique is determined to use this opportunity to jumpstart her career...But as Evelyn's story catches up with the present, it becomes clear that her life intersects with Monique's own in tragic and irreversible ways."
I adore Taylor Jenkins Reid. Her stories are so human, simple and poignant. Except this one. It was disappointing and oftentimes felt forced. None of the characters, settings or storytelling felt natural. None of the reveals were surprising or interesting. I couldn't understand what the point of this elaborate story was supposed to be. There is no conclusion or satisfaction found at the end. Just bitter disappointment and frustration.
I ultimately hated this book. I honestly wish I had never read it. I remain hopeful that TJR's books will redeem themselves in the future.
391 pages
No comments:
Post a Comment