The Wish Collector by Mia SheridanMy rating: 2 of 5 stars
I had such high hopes for this one but unfortunately found it to be completely tedious and lacking in any sort of emotional resonance and/or tension. I even fell asleep while reading it, on 3 separate occasions. In broad daylight. That’s how absolutely bored with it that I was. It just did not work for me, and I couldn’t wait for it to end.
The concept should have been brilliant, but the storytelling didn’t carry it through. So instead, it comes off as long-winded, predictable, and whiney.
Let’s face it, only about 1/3 of this story was necessary. And the rest is just another stereotypical self-hating rich dude who needs some dainty little naive women to love him and change his world. Been there, done that, not even the hint of Beauty and the Beast-ness that this novel has could entice me to enjoy this further.
I think a great starting point to making this book better would have been to edit out 25,000 words worth of excess. Then to go back and give each and every scene movement, emotion, and intentionality. Because it's not the concept that I disliked. It's the execution.
Pages: 504
Hunter's Claim by S.E. SmithMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
This started out interesting but maybe lost a little bit of momentum as the story progressed. Overall, an interesting read.
Pages: 236
Razor's Traitorous Heart by S.E. SmithMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
I lost interest and let my mind wander, and it was very difficult to pull myself back together and finish this book. I think it's just a case of "been there, done that," which is not to say I don't like rereading stories that I've read a million times before. Clearly I don't, since I read hundreds of books every year, and there are a lot of overlapping themes and storylines.
I think it's that this one just doesn't stand out as having something special enough to hold my attention. So I'm going to stop here with the series, even though overall, I like some things about it. I just don't love it enough to keep onward.
Pages: 310
Filthy Beautiful Lies by Kendall RyanMy rating: 2 of 5 stars
Not that great, and not a complete story. Be prepared to go on to book 2, since you don't get a full plot with this one. Also, the concept was fantastic, and I didn't think you could screw up with such a great premise. But this is definitely a let down. I'm only going onward to book 2, since book 1 is incomplete, and I want to know if anything wraps up better than it starts.
Pages: 309
More Than Friends by Aria GraceMy rating: 2 of 5 stars
Not well-written or well-developed. I mostly read onward, because it is so short. Seems like the author doesn't have a very strong grasp on sexuality, based on some of the strange comments in this book.
Pages: 76
Filthy Beautiful Love by Kendall RyanMy rating: 2 of 5 stars
Meh. Took what could have been an interesting concept and kind of ruined it with useless surface drama and a bad plot. I only continued on to book 2, because book 1 isn't a complete book. You only get part of a story, and I wanted to know what would happen or if things improved in book 2. They didn't.
Pages: 316
Stranded with the SEAL by Amy GametMy rating: 2 of 5 stars
I really wanted to enjoy this one, but it’s a weak offering, with an unbelievable storyline, poor character intros and development, unnatural dialogue, and rough transitions. I kept waiting for it to just settle in, and it never did. Everything pretty much feels forced and unnatural from start to finish. I was hoping for a stronger, sexier read, and instead I got something discombobulated and trying too hard.
Pages: 238
The Lawrence Browne Affairby Cat Sebastian
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
While I like to see some neurodiversity represented in a historical novel, this one had a lot of potential but unfortunately fell flat for me.
Pages: 336
In Bed with a Highlanderby Maya Banks
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
So much fun. I loved this one. It gives me Julie Garwood level of feels and humor.
Pages: 351
Love Comes Silentlyby Andrew Grey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
I loved the concept and overall sweetness, but it needed some better development.
Pages: 300
Acting Out by Tibby ArmstrongMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
This is chock full of passion and emotion, but it could have really benefited from some stronger character development, as well as some better writing transitions. The writing always felt just a bit rough around the edges, which often distracted me from the storyline. Regardless, I enjoyed it overall.
Pages: 278
Moving in Rhythm by Dev BenthamMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
This was another interesting concept that needed better development. The anxiety of the MC almost gave me anxiety. I wanted stronger character development on all fronts and for side characters especially to feel more 3D. But overall, it's decently readable.
Pages: 140
Never Love a Highlanderby Maya Banks
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I enjoyed this whole trilogy.
Pages: 307
Seduction of a Highland Lassby Maya Banks
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Another enjoyable read in this trilogy. It moved in an unexpected direction, which I liked.
Pages: 323
Ice Planet Barbarians by Ruby DixonMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
Okay, I picked this up on a whim, thinking it would be ridiculous. I would read it, be amused, satisfy my curiosity, and then move on. I didn't expect this to actually be an interesting or well-written story.
I am an idiot. This book is a helluva lot of fun on both the romance and sci-fi fronts. And now, I'm an Ice Planet Barbarians addict. I enjoyed this so much that I read the first 3 books straight through in one day. So there goes my life for the next 14 books, and probably more, as I will likely buy and read all the novellas, too.
Blue aliens for the win.
Pages: 188
Barbarian Alien by Ruby DixonMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
With every new romance series, especially in a speculative genre, I'm always worried book 2 will just be a repeat of book 1 with different names. This definitely was not that, and it added a whole new level of fun to the world and people.
Pages: 211
Barbarian Loverby Ruby Dixon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Another great read in an addictive series.
Pages: 191
Barbarian Mineby Ruby Dixon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Just when I think things might get boring, they don't. I have a serious blue alien addiction at this point. I don't even want to adult. Just give me more aliens.
Pages: 182
Barbarian's Prize by Ruby DixonMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
Hello, my name is Becky, and I'm addicted to blue aliens. I can't even be bothered to write an interesting review, because I finish one book and want to start the next one immediately.
Pages: 238
Barbarian's Mate by Ruby DixonMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
Well, it was about time that someone decided they weren't going to listen to their cootie, even though I felt quite sorry for her mate and was anxious throughout.
Pages: 207
Barbarian's Touch by Ruby DixonMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
I was fascinated by the added complications for a human with deafness to survive in an alien world and also please with how much everyone tried to include her and treat her the same, regardless of hearing ability.
Pages: 301
Barbarian's Tamingby Ruby Dixon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Nice to see some diversity in body type.
Pages: 243
Barbarian's Heartby Ruby Dixon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This one had a level of grief and high emotions that appealed to me, even though it is a heavier read than some of the others.
Pages: 222
Barbarian's Hope by Ruby DixonMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
Another emotional offering in this series that takes a solid look at grief. With two books in a row that have central themes of grief, the librarian and writer inside me can't help wondering what may have happened in the author's life to prompt this shift. It's good. I am still absolutely addicted to this series, but these last 2 books are definitely on the heavy side.
Pages: 175
Lauren's Barbarian by Ruby DixonMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
Wow. So I'm an Ice Planet Barbarian addict, and I really enjoyed this new series. It introduces a whole new part of the world, and I was captivated by it and all of the differences. Ruby Dixon really does a great job of world building. It's always complex, but everything is presented in a way that is so simple to understand and absorb.
Pages: 280
The Corsair's Captiveby Ruby Dixon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Okay. I confess I don't love this as much as Ice Planet Barbarians, but it still had my full attention.
Pages: 170
In The Corsair's Bedby Ruby Dixon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I'm enjoying this quirky band of space pirates.
Pages: 136
Enticed By The Corsairby Ruby Dixon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Darker and twistier.
Pages: 184
Deceiving the Corsairby Ruby Dixon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
A fun change of pace, since the previous 2 books were pretty dark and heavy.
Pages: 171
Barbarian's Choiceby Ruby Dixon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Well, this was fun and interesting. I enjoyed the visitors from elsewhere and getting to read about a Sa-Khui female.
Pages: 205
Barbarian's Rescueby Ruby Dixon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I loved the contrast between these two characters. It's an opposites attract situation.
Pages: 225
Barbarian's Redemptionby Ruby Dixon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Nice how each brought out the best in the other. Plus, I always enjoy meeting some new characters, and learning more about characters that have floated around the periphery but not come to the forefront yet.
Pages: 253
Barbarian's Ladyby Ruby Dixon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This was so absolutely adorable and charming. Never has a blue alien tried harder or been more awkward in his desperate attempts to please a human.
Pages: 248
Ice Planet Honeymoon: Vektal and Georgie by Ruby DixonMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
I thought this was going to be a fun romp, but instead, the first half is a bit repetitive and maudlin, waxing on for quite some time about survivor’s guilt. It’s not that it isn’t valid, but it just wasn’t what I thought I signed up for based on the title and description.
Since I enjoy the series characters, I was along for the ride, regardless. Everything does improve remarkably and become more honeymoon-esque around 62% in, though I still can’t help wishing the whole story overall had been a bit more compelling. It’s not a full win for me, but I generally liked it.
There is a totally hilarious segment near the end that had me absolutely laughing out loud, which definitely helped my overall enjoyment.
Pages: 55
Veronica's Dragonby Ruby Dixon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
OMG dragon.
pages: 280
Ice Planet Honeymoon: Raahosh & Lizby Ruby Dixon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Liz is brash and hilarious, and Raahosh is adorable. Just absolutely adorable.
Pages: 49
Willa's Beastby Ruby Dixon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Intense and ragey.
Pages: 294
Fire in His Bloodby Ruby Dixon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This was an interesting start to the series, though just a bit slow at times. I'm hoping if I continue onward, there will be just a bit more world building in the next book.
Pages: 331
Hollywood Roommates by Elizabeth BriggsMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
The female MC was somewhat developed, and even amusing at times, but I confess the guys were hard to tell apart. They blended together too much for me, and it took me forever to figure out who was who and what their differences were. I'm still not sure on 2 of the guys, but who doesn't like a reverse harem situation?
I confess, I was along for the ride, regardless of how much sense anything made or how well-developed it was. If you read it for the pure fun of the situation, then all will be well. If you want a really solid story, with strong character development, a good plot, and a romantic build-up, this is not that. It's more of a fun romp, and all the difficult issues and questions are left to be dealt with at a later time.
Pages: 212
Fire in His Kissby Ruby Dixon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Okay, the world is starting to develop a bit more, but I still have a lot of questions that I was hoping to get more answers to. This is not quite as compelling and addictive as the Ice Planet Barbarians series, but I'm not giving up.
Pages: 406
Fire in His Embraceby Ruby Dixon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I liked the variety with how this story started, but I confess, there's still something more that I'm wanting from this series. I can't seem to put my finger on it, but I think it's in relation to the overall world building.
Pages: 377
Fire in His Furyby Ruby Dixon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This is sweet. I do like how each couple in a Ruby Dixon book is distinctly different from the last couple, even in a series.
Pages: 388
Fire In His Spiritby Ruby Dixon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I enjoy the confusion that exists when bringing together two people from totally different worlds. I mean, I often think it is hard to understand men, and we're the same damned species, from the same damned planet.
Pages: 369
Fire in His Veinsby Ruby Dixon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
An interesting change of pace for the series. I still want a bit more world building and a few more answers.
Pages: 353
Ice Planet Holidayby Ruby Dixon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
The best novella in this series so far.
Pages: 136
Calmby Ruby Dixon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Not necessarily a stunning or exciting read, and there is no real climax or resolution, but it was interesting to learn more about Maylak. This one is best for series addicts.
Page: 59
Having the Barbarian's Babyby Ruby Dixon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Also not stunning, in terms of storyline, but overall, I enjoyed more time with these characters.
Pages: 56
Ice Ice Babiesby Ruby Dixon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Enjoyed this for what it was. Gives you a bit more insight into some of the series characters.
Pages: 46
Arctic Sun by Annabeth AlbertMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
I confess, I almost didn't buy this book, due to some of the negative reviews, and I'm so glad that I ignored those and forged onward. I found this to be a difficult, emotional read that hit all the right notes. Yes, it does take time for these trouble characters to get a handle on their issues and figure out how to be together, but that is what makes this such an interesting read.
I love the contrast between the two men, as well as their similarities. I enjoyed that they both had challenges but still brought something refreshing and unique to their relationship, something that the other really needs.
This was a win for me, so I am moving onward to book two and will try other novels by this author.
Pages: 384
Arctic Wildby Annabeth Albert
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This one was a bit too choppy for me, but I still enjoyed it overall. I have a soft spot for stories with interesting kids, even if they are surly teenagers.
Pages: 400
The Librarian Principle by Helena HuntingMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
This was both saucy and sweet. I enjoyed the whole forbidden romance concept, even though a lot of the teacher and school related stuff wasn’t accurate. I would have given this 5 stars right up until the ending, which is a classic romance novel ending conforming to standard American stereotypes about love. So in other words, it’s the same accidentally happy ending formula and scenarios that exactly matches so many romance novels.
It's clearly me who is grumpy, as this is a romance novel staple, but I found it cloying and disappointing, especially after I enjoyed the book so much. I probably could have skipped the end, since it was unnecessary.
Yep. Apparently, I’m complaining about the HEA, but I guess I’m just tired of the assumption that every woman has to want the same thing in her HEA. This was such a cute couple that I could have done without that. I would have preferred something a bit more them and a bit less "accidentally classic", I guess.
Overall, it’s a good read. I enjoyed it, despite what felt like a lame HEA. 10 years ago, I would have just accepted it, but I've read too much romance now to even find it remotely interesting or emotional. Guess I'm grumbly today.
If you believe in the standard American dream and don't like surprises, then this will be a good fit for you.
Pages: 298
Twisted Strands by Lilia MoonMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
What a refreshingly different and unique read in this genre!
This one is not like anything I have ever read in the romance and erotica genres before, and I'm kind of sad about that (sad about the part where I think maybe I would have understood and appreciated this unique world more, a long time ago, had anyone given their stories this level of trust and emotion--let me be clear that I am not sad at all about this book. It's breathtaking.)
It’s sort of like artistic, light BDSM, that’s all about ropes and tying ropes. That sounds crazy. I don’t even know how to explain this story, but it’s like —-staring too long at a naughty painting while people whisper and giggle all around your, but you can’t focus on them because some gorgeous and seductive art is right in front of you.
I wish I could have seen this story unfold right in front of me, in real time, though that might have been a bit awkward for all involved. Regardless, I have no doubt it would have been consuming and full of pleasing aesthetics.
Pages: 225
Weighted Wires by Lilia MoonMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
Oh, my goodness. This series. Wow. The way it shows personalities reflected in art, and creativity fueled by personal demons, I just can't get enough. The idea that someone can be their safest, and even beautiful, while being absolutely out of control in their emotions fascinates me.
Never before have I been so interested in understanding this world, mostly because it is presented in a way that gives me no concern that someone is being taken advantage of or lying to themselves or playing a role.
Great change of pace!
Pages: 230
Shaded Linesby Lilia Moon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Love this series from start to finish. Now, I'm going to go look up and read everything else by this author.
Pages: 232
Yield: Emily & Damonby Lilia Moon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I’m obsessed with this author. Ob. Sessed.
Pages: 246
Reveal: Scorpio & Harlan by Lilia MoonMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
I don’t know what happened here, and so I’m going to try to talk about it, as that is what this story would want from me. To communicate things I would normally keep to myself.
This one has left me all raw and emotional. Kind of frayed around the edges. Like all my nerve-endings have gone haywire, and I don’t really know how to feel.
There’s definitely a lot of marvelous feelings and happiness about the overall storyline and characters, but those are mixed in with some pretty strange and intense personal feelings of worry and uncertainty. Maybe even some fear. Over a book. Over what two characters walked through in this story, but not any of the physical stuff, just all of the emotional stuff.
This book made me feel like I needed a safe word to use to protect me from this book and all the ways it wreaked havoc on my mind and emotions while reading. I still feel confused and overwhelmed, even though I want to melt in and feel delicious about it all. I wanted to pull it close one second, and in the next, I needed to hold it away from me just to breathe and get some space. My chest aches, now, and I’m not even sure I can fully wrap my mind around the truth of why that might be.
I think that watching this couple walk their edges left me on edge and had me questioning myself in a lot of areas. I feel strangely undone. And I’m not part of this community or lifestyle. All I’ve done is read about it and wonder if there’s any truth inside what I’ve been reading. Or maybe it’s just pretty fiction, the highly effective kind, and I really let it get to me. I don’t know, and I think the not knowing is part of my current emotional chaos. Either way, any book that can tie me in so many knots of tangled emotions deserves all the stars.
Pages: 246
Desire: Gabby & Danielby Lilia Moon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Yes, please. And thank you. I especially like to read stories about couples in their 40s, now that I'm nearing that age gap.
Pages: 250
Know: Mattie & Milo by Lilia MoonMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
Every single story in this series has taken me on a different journey that has sent me to all kinds of emotional places that sometimes feel a bit unknown. But this is still is part of the whole. Favorite characters are wound throughout, creating a world that has it's own kind of rich family ties and relationships. They leave me thinking and distract me from my real life, which is just what I need and want right now. I'm addicted.
Pages: 240
Naughty For Christmasby Lilia Moon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This was fun. I'm obviously biased, since I'm a librarian and love the series. ;)
Pages: 152
Play: Chloe & Eli by Lilia MoonMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
I think I'm most obsessed with the amount of trust that gets built between characters in these stories. Not only does everyone build and nurture trust, there's also a lot of room for mistakes and growth, as well as a ton of support when people need it (and a smack upside the head, if they need that). People across the board are appreciated and respected for who they are, which happens pretty much almost nowhere. There's no undercurrent of judgment. Supporting each other is more important than competing with each other.
The culture of the environment has seduced me far more than the moments of kink.
Pages: 236
Need: Ari & Jacksonby Lilia Moon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
6 stars for the finale. I just wish it wasn’t the end of the line.
Pages: 252
Trust: Meghan & Quintby Lilia Moon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Well, this pairing was so unexpected and worked out so well!
Pages: 228
Reflected in You by Sylvia DayMy rating: 2 of 5 stars
I was hoping this would be an improvement on book one and move in new and interesting directions. Instead, it's just kind of all over the place and exhausting. This is one of those relationships that is so dysfunctional that the characters are hurting far more than they are happy. And I'm not convinced they are ever even happy, so much as needy and desperate.
Pages: 352
Trust with a Chaser by Annabeth AlbertMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
My favorite thing about this was all the contrasts between the 2 men. It was this delightful combo of sweet and gruff, and it charmed me.
Pages: 280
Tender with a Twist by Annabeth AlbertMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
This has a feel similar to book one, where the two men are a nice contrast to each other, but it still feels like a completely different story with very different types of guys. So there are some share similarities and themes, but this story still goes its own way.
Pages: 280
No comments:
Post a Comment