Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Friday, February 4, 2011

Heart On My Sleeve: Ellen Wittlinger




Guilty Pleasure alert!

I adore YA Lit. I think it's come a very long way since even I was a kid (although it's been argued that Catcher in the Rye would have been a YA novel had it been released in the 21st century), but even if it hadn't come a long way, I'd still love it. *Especially* in epistolary form!

If a book is classified as epistolary fiction, I am far more likely to read it (if it isn't already within a genre I'm comfortable with). Something about feeling like I'm nosing into people's lives a little more (even though it's fiction!)...or that it feels like I'm reading a bunch of short chapters, which I always enjoy...

Although I love reading, I don't love reading books that are too difficult. Reading is an escape for me, and I don't feel like stopping to look up words or rereading paragraphs that I don't understand. I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on the English language, so this preference doesn't limit me too often (although you'll never see me reading Joyce). But in general, YA books are a bit more accessible than so-called 'adult fiction,' so I almost always like them, and will try unfamiliar genres in YA lit far before I'd try them otherwise.

This book was a mite fluffy, but ended up being a little deeper than I'd expected. I fully enjoyed reading it, and spent about three days catching pages here and there until I was finished.

219 pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment