Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Saturday, February 26, 2011

When the Game Is Over It All Goes Back in the Box by John Ortberg

Using his self-deprecating humor and excellent storytelling abilities, John Ortberg reminds us that it isn't the "stuff" we gather that matters, it is what we do with our lives that counts. I especially appreciated his chapter on contentment called "More Will Never Be Enough." In it he tells the story of a spiritual seeker who interrupted his busy life to spend a few days in a monastery. "I hope your stay is a blessed one," said the monk who showed the man to his simple cell. "If you need anything, let us know, and we'll teach you how to live without it."

Personally, I prefer Ortberg's books God Is Closer Than You Think and If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat. But When the Game Is Over It All Goes Back in the Box has a good message, too, and is well worth to reading. 256 p.

No comments:

Post a Comment