352 pages
This is the first in a series of books I read weeks or even months ago that I have not added to the blog. Bad Sarah! So, I’m starting with the book I read least recently, and will see if I have enough memory of it to write anything of value.
Tropper’s novel focuses on Judd Foxman – in particular, a very bad week in his life. His wife recently cheated on him with his boss, and he subsequently lost his job and his marriage. Shortly after, he got the news that his father passed away and made the death-bed wish that his family sit a week’s shiva for him. He and his family play host to a variety of mourners during this time, and in between visits the reader learns of all of his siblings’ screwed up lives, the relationship that has emerged between his recently widowed mother and an aunt-ish neighbor, and various other comedies and tragedies that entwine themselves around the event.
The writing is sharp, the Foxmans are snarky and smart and ridiculous – and there is definitely room for a sequel. Would I be first in line to read it? Maybe not, but I think I’d be entertained once I did get around to it.
No comments:
Post a Comment