Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Friday, September 30, 2011

Darkly Dreaming Dexter By Jeff Lindsay

288 pages

Great television show, so-so book. I’ve watched the entire Dexter series, and though it took me a while to warm up to the show in the first season, I was addicted once that first season’s story arc really started to hit its stride.

I might have been more impressed by the originality of the plotline for the book if I didn’t already know all the punchlines from the show – yes, Dexter is a serial killer, yes, he’s the protagonist, yes, he outsmarts the crime unit at the police station where he works as a blood-spatter specialist, and yes, some deep dark event early in Dexter’s life, before he was picked up and raised by Harry, his supercop foster father, caused him to have to kill and caused Harry to create a neat monster, one that only kills the really, really bad guys that the police can’t catch or juries can’t convict.

I wanted the book to have the same sleekness, humor, wit, and controlled chaos of the show. It just felt lacking.

No comments:

Post a Comment