(Posted for Ann Roberts)
I can’t believe I read this. I’ve always like Dave Barry’s cartoons, and while this book certainly had its ridiculously funny moments and characters, there were things in the telling of this tale that I just couldn’t get past. For example, amidst the ridiculous plot line, reminiscent of a Carl Hiaasen story, a young mother is forced to expose her breasts at gun point in front of her family by the criminals. Is this supposed to be funny? The episode was included in a scene in which a brawny cop and the woman’s husband are handcuffed to a large entertainment center which they end up dragging out into the street-funny stuff-but the treatment of the wife and daughter in this scene is disturbing and questionable.
Filled with truly inept criminals and an insanely ridiculous plot line, the book has its moments, but not nearly enough.
Hardback, 255 pages

No comments:
Post a Comment