Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Friday, August 30, 2013

BEHIND THE SCENES AT THE MUSEUM by Kate Atkinson


How’s this for an inspired opening:  I exist!  I am conceived to the chimes of midnight on the clock on the mantelpiece in the room across the hall.  (A fellow fan of this author reminds me that this is sorta like first line of David Copperfield: I am born)

I love this author’s ability to weave together people, time and place.  Beginning w/Chapter One:  1951 to the last line of Chapter 13: 1992, this is the story of Ruby Lennox.  Following each chapter is an appendix consisting of footnotes from Alice, Ruby’s grandmother’s time and/or footnotes from Berenice (Bunty), her mother’s time.

A totaling engrossing tale with a huge and unexpected revelation about the family in Chapter 11: 1968.

St. Martin’s Press, 1996 333 p.

1 comment:

  1. I'm on a personal quest to read everything by this author because I liked this book so much!

    ReplyDelete