Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Saturday, August 31, 2013

The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

I didn't know what to expect from The Casual Vacancy but I was still surprised by the story.  I was sort of expecting a cross between Harry Potter and a cozy mystery.  What I read instead was about the impact of one caring adult on the lives of those around them.  Or I should say, the impact of the loss of a caring adult.  There are people who lift people up, who inspire us to be better people, and who do more than just take care of themselves and their families.  Barry Fairbrother was such a person.  He came up from the projects and became a council member and rowing coach.  He fought to keep providing drug counseling and other services for the projects and started a rowing team to help less popular kids succeed.  When he dies unexpectedly the consequences are unimaginable.  A great read! 503 p.

No comments:

Post a Comment