Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Monday, September 28, 2015

Biting Nixie (Book 2 Biting Love series)

Biting Nixie is the second installment in the Biting Love series by Mary Hughes.  Nixie is one of the many characters readers meet in Meiers Corners.  In book one, she was Elena's best friend.  Now she has her own story to tell.  Nixie a punk rocking guitar player in Guns and Polkas and meets a stodgy lawyer named Julian while planning a town festival fundraiser intended to keep Chicago from annexing her home town.  I found Nixie a bit distracting because she tends to use a lot of slang.  While the slang is explained by the author (thank heavens) it still feels awkward and unnatural.  It made it harder for me to like and relate to Nixie.  Otherwise, I liked the story and the play between the two main characters.  They are opposites on so many levels that it almost seems unlikely they would ever form an attraction.  It feels like just a sexual thing throughout the book and makes the reader wonder if happily ever after is really possible for these two fish out of water.  However, by the end they seem to be "getting" each other more and more, though I think this could have been developed more.  It was still a fun read, but was probably the least favorite of the books I have read in this series so far.  312 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment