Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Wednesday, September 30, 2015

"Dumped in Oz" by Andrew Grey

Book one in the Tales from Kansas series finds Lyle Powers transferring from Pittsburg, PA, to rural Kansas for one year for his job.  On his first day there, he eats at a local restaurant where he meets the baker, Roger Kypers, a single father with a crazy ex-wife and protective 13-year-old daughter.  The two men hit it off, but the ex-wife causes problems that could push Roger off of the wagon.  I didn't much care for the writing style of the author; exposition was used more than the "show, don't tell" technique, and did not allow me to invest emotionally in either character.  I did feel sorry for Roger and his circumstances, but Lyle's character wasn't really explored in-depth.  I almost forgot to explain that "Oz" refers to "The Wizard of Oz," about which there is a museum in this small town.  127 pages (Kindle edition).

No comments:

Post a Comment