Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Thursday, March 1, 2018

Poison Princess by Kresley Cole

Summary: In the aftermath of a cataclysmic event, sixteen-year-old Evie, from a well-to-do Louisiana family, learns that her terrible visions are actually prophecies and that there are others like herself -- embodiments of Tarot cards destined to engage in an epic battle.

This series has one of the more interesting premises and world lore that I have come across lately.  The idea that Tarot cards are real people is a fascinating concept - especially for me as Tarot is a tradition in my family.  And so far, the characters designated as cards have mostly matched the agreed general message of their specific cards.  I am excited to meet the rest of them!

My issues with this book lie, once again, in the weak, naive female main character.  More than once, I found myself immediately disconnect with the book solely because of her sheer stupidity.  And I do mean stupidity - not 'I disagreed with her choice' or 'Oh, she's immature'.  No.  She makes moronic comments that are completely outside of reality.  I'm also not a fan of the romance stuff.  It's trite and cliche (she falls for the 'bad boy', y'all), but I can handle teen love angst if the world is good - and this one is.  

I am going to read the second one, solely because I am interested in the development of the Tarot characters and the world-building.  Let's hope the main character finds her brain.

3/5

369 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment