On a Tuesday by Whitney G.My rating: 2 of 5 stars
I don’t understand how this has an average score of 4.03. It has me flummoxed. Apparently, other readers saw something in it that I just didn’t. Keeping that in mind, you may want to take my review with a grain of salt, since I am the odd woman out and the majority of readers liked this book.
This is one of those stories that I almost quit in the first few chapters, but I persevered, for better or worse. The story starts out with straight up telling and backstory, which made me think that perhaps this was going to be no better than the roughest of rough drafts.
In fact, I almost quit the book, right then and there, because I figured that starting the story in such a way probably meant that the author doesn’t know how to construct a decent story. I was wrong, though. This is an acceptable story, because after that opening pile of steaming backstory and unnecessary telling, this evolved into something mostly readable.
It was clear throughout that the author didn’t do thorough research or have knowledge of all the things discussed and/or mentioned in the story, so there are a lot of discrepancies in the small details. Those will likely fly past some readers, but if you have knowledge on some of the topics, you will see them for what they are---failure of the writer to do 60 or 90 seconds of proper research when adding details to the story. This bothered me, but it may not bother you. Clearly, it did not bother the majority of readers.
Now, despite all these writing and researching issues, the actual story is somewhat readable. You just need to be able to shrug off a lot of randomness and rough transitions and move forward. Not everything makes sense, so don’t expect it to. Threads are introduced and then dropped again without being tied into the story or resolved, so just don’t expect everything that comes up in the story to be of value.
For those who are in this for the romance factor, you may not care about the rough writing. Personally, I have the same standards for romance novels that I do for any novel, so the poor construction bothered me with this one.
Also, the romance definitely lacks angst, desire, and intimacy, so it mostly made me feel flat, bored, and/or uncomfortable. And don’t expect the naked scenes to be better, as they aren’t. They tend to be very abrupt and left me surprised and confounded more than once, and not in a good way. They just arrive out of the blue and then end again, just as fast, and rarely did I understand how any of those scenes were useful to the relationship, the romance, or the story.
I think this story concept could have been good if the execution was better and less abrupt. The character development and growth is minimal, and the plot is mostly non-existent. Side characters are 1D or 2D at best. When a plot thread does appear, it’s pretty random and out of the blue, as if nothing really ties together. Most of the issues are stupid, surface-level drama that has no real depth or teeth. A lot of the issues are simply unbelievable. The transitions between past and present are rough, but the dialogue is decent. Occasionally it is tedious, but it typically moves the story forward, which is the end goal.
To sum this up, this story is not the most cohesive or well-written. I’ve read far worse (unfortunately), but I’ve also read far better (thank goodness). After reading this one, I would not try other stories from this author, because her writing is not my cup of tea.
Read this one if and you like 2nd chance romance stories with multiple POVs and a non-linear timeline (skips back and forth from past to present), and if you don’t really care about writing ability, style, or story construction.
Book 23 read in 2019
Pages: 216
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment