Welcome to the MOSL Book Challenge


Friday, January 4, 2019

The Actor's Life: A Survival Guide by Jenna Fischer

The Actor's Life: A Survival Guide by Jenna Fischer

252 pages

5/5

Jenna Fischer’s Hollywood journey began at the age of 22 when she moved to Los Angeles from her hometown of St. Louis. With a theater degree in hand, she was certain everything would fall easily into place. Never mind that she didn’t know a single person in the entertainment industry. She was determined, she was confident, she was ready to work hard. So, what could go wrong?

Uh, basically everything. It would be eight long years before she landed her Emmy-nominated role of Pam Beesley on The Office—nearly a decade of failure, struggle, rejection and doubt. 

If only she’d had a handbook for the struggling actor. Or, better yet, someone to show her the way—an established actor who could manage her expectations, educate her about the business, and reassure her in those moments of despair.

Jenna Fischer wants to be that person for you. 

This book is adorable, and if I were an aspiring actor, it would be SO helpful.  It's less memoir and more instructional manual for someone new to show business.  As such, a lot of this was not directly applicable to me personally, but I found her stories unique and uplifting.  Jenna is extremely honest about all of the ups and downs she has experienced throughout her career, and sprinkles those stories throughout the practical advice about getting work as an actor.  It made me want a full-on memoir from her; she's so engaging!  My favorite chapter was the one on headshots.  I learned a lot about headshots in general, but hearing Jenna bemoan her early headshots (she's holding her first in the cover art) was hilarious.

Also - please go for the audiobook.  Jenna is the narrator, and it's awesome. 

1 comment:

  1. I needed to thank you for this tremendous read !! I completely getting a charge out of each petite piece of it and I have you bookmarked to try out new substance you post.
    Food Dehydration

    ReplyDelete