The Hundredth Queen by Emily R. KingMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
This was't bad. In fact, in the first half or so of the book, it mostly had my attention. But then the last half of the book became a bit more tedious, and the whole story from start to end was extremely predictable, which definitely reduced suspension and intrigue.
The character development started off strong, I thought, but then it fell by the wayside, as did the world building. This should have been a lush, extravagant opulent setting, contrast with the opposite, but rarely did I feel that through the writing.
The exploration of the magic system was okay but pretty standard, light, predictable, and uninspiring, and more magic would have been better.
The thing is, I didn't entirely dislike this, or I would have quit reading. There was something that compelled me through the first 2/3 of the book, and then I forced myself through the last 1/3. So it holds some level of interest for me, but not enough that I have decided to continue on with the series.
I think a far better option for a book that would be somewhat similar, only stronger, would be:

Pages: 287
No comments:
Post a Comment